FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Missouri state law issues
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
ms_terese
Darin,

Thanks for the official verbage. The regulations in Springfield have driven me nuts since we moved here, because Springfield doesn't define "dangerous". We've gone to every government office we could find there, asked every person who we were referred to, and each of them told us, when asked what is being defined as a "dangerous reptile"...."I don't know." (Keep in mind we don't keep venomous as a rule, but have occasionally kept native venomous for photos, observation, etc.....but primarily we're concerned about the larger constrictors.)

Anyway, we moved to Taney County instead of Springfield, which brings us to another quandary. State law says we must register any deadly, dangerous reptile with the county law enforcement agency. I took that to mean the Taney County Sheriff's Department. The Taney County Sheriff's Department looked at me and said, "huh?" Since Taney County has no regs that the courthouse in Forsyth could find, they don't have a way to register any animals or ownership.

I realize that this leaves me wide open should a problem arise, and my theory thus far has been to educate as many people as possible about these animals and build a good reputation in our community so that we would not become the object of a campaign at any time. Any other suggestions?