FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Changes in the way emails are being handled
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
WebSlave
Exclamation

About emails again.

Apparently if this made a positive change, it's not really a substantial change. Still getting bounced emails from some members, and I am trying to reduce that number as much as possible. So I may need some help from all of you that might be affected by this problem.

I've been reviewing the bounced emails and it appears that quite a few of them are from members with email accounts they apparently no longer use, and in some cases, no longer have access to. With that in mind, I will be contacting those members as I get those bounce notices and requesting that they update their email information to a current working email address.

Those that ignore my request and neglect or just refuse to update that information will leave me no choice but to block them from this site in order to try to eliminate this email problem as much as possible. Bounced and/or rejected emails cause their own issues with email providers, in that they tend to presume that the sender of such emails is likely bogus itself as a spam source. Which, of course, is really not good for this site, and those people contributing to this problem just have to be dealt with to try to correct the problems. It becomes a spiraling problem with bounced emails causing more restrictions applied to this site, causing even more emails to be rejected. Obviously I do have to do something about it.

There is also the situation of an inherent problem with Yahoo email handling that I recently became aware of. Apparently they have made a policy change in that all emails claiming to be from Yahoo, MUST actually be coming from a Yahoo mail server. So when emails are issued from this site by someone using the email service in vBulletin to contact another member via email, and their email address is a Yahoo address, other email services such as gmail and the like will reject such emails because of Yahoo's policy. And quite likely gmail and others will probably follow suit with similar internal policies as well. As such, I am strongly considering terminating the option of members contacting other members via email, and leave only the Private Messaging system intact for member to member contacts outside of the standard functions of this message board.

I do not believe the above will affect such things as notifications issued from this site, such as thread reply notifications, private message notifications, and any administrative email related functions. But since some members using gmail and others do receive emails, and others do not, I strongly suggest that anyone not receiving emails to check their settings in their email accounts with gmail, yahoo, hotmail, AOL, etc. to make certain that they do not have the spam levels set too high, and therefore blocking this site, or having the emails wind up in their trash folder. You can also white list webmaster@faunaclassifieds.com too, to help bypass this sort of problem.

Please note that if your email information you have tied to your account here becomes invalid, then if you should forget your account password, you are pretty much locked out of your account. There is a function here to reset your password if you should forget it, but it requires that you have a working email account on record here in order for that to work. So I strongly suggest that you keep that information current and up to date to prevent such problems causing you to lose access to your FaunaClassifieds account. Seriously, there is only so much I can do with stuff of this nature. You really need to do your part, too. If you change your email address, PLEASE remember to update that information in your account here.