FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Are you a LURKER?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #83
snowgyre
I think whether you're a lurker or not is dependent on how you use the site. In general, I use this site far more for the BOI, window shopping, and selling animals than I do for the forums.

But when I do peruse the forums, replies are often a "I am better than thou art" mentality, and there tends to be a lot of angst and hard feelings that I'd rather not be a part of. If someone has a question, I'll do my best to give them an honest answer, but most of the time someone else has either beaten me too it or some snarky comment has been made that I decide it's best not to fuel the fire.

The kind of mentality I'm talking about can actually be seen with the choices in this poll, which I didn't vote on because I felt people were being led into one answer or another. For example, I would've voted "I don't have time to post in forums", since I'm a graduate student working on my dissertation and I'll be taking my comprehensive exams in a few weeks, but didn't because of the nasty added addendum "you guys need to get a life." That was very unnecessary. I'm not sure where all this sarcasm comes from, but it's very difficult to tell what's a joke and what's not considering how hot headed a lot of fauna members can be. To be an honest poll, choices can't be baited like they are here. It's asking for a false representation of what people really think.