FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - about siklback and their husbandry
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Denisebme
Question copied from the other thread
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to discuss the genetics Alessandro.
My concern is pretty simple. The primary physical trait in these beardies that appears to be affected is how their bodies process Keratin, which is why they lack the typical scales seem in a beardie. They appear to be missing the upper two levels of the epidermis, the middle layer where scale development occurs and the upper layer which is normally made up of the heavy scales and spikes we are used to seeing.
I have a couple of related questions;
First, if you've had any skin breaks, have you noticed if the healing time is comparable to that of a "normal" bearded dragon?
Second, is the development of any other normal characteristic affected? In other words, are the nails and joints normal or are they more brittle? Are the growth patterns normal?
Third, and this may have already been answered, I've been gone a few days, are you tracking for any other issues that may arise? Unlike color specific breeding, this is a new genetic mutation and it may take a bit of time to see if any other issues come up from their bodies seeming inability to correctly process keratin.
Thanks.