FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Gregg Madden and Joe Schmidt
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
KBenker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGMinc View Post
I’ve been in the trade for 30+ years. Like many of you I have watched people get burned time and again on breeder exchange deals, from people being flat ripped off and losing expensive animals to being told yield numbers were lower than what they actually were. Friendships destroyed animals abused and genuine criminal activity. I have only one question when will people learn to use contracts? I’ve never been burned because I took the time money and energy to hire a lawyer to write up every project I’ve ever been involved with anyone else. I have zero issue filling civil suit and/or criminal charges. If people would just work to keep an upstanding name none of this would be necessary but it appears many do not care about their name or reputation. Many of us have spent years trying to get people involved in this hobby/business to make the trades more acceptable to the general public to combat fear and educate ignorance. In doing so we also absorbed some really shady characters. I don’t have a dog in this fight but neither party took the time to cover themselves correctly, it’s bad business. Animals don’t cost what they used to and the market is down animals that should be in the 40-50k range are 10k and any time you allow everyone to play the bad seeds are going to dig in deep. When breeders were having to put out 45k for morph they had more to lose and didn’t take risk dealing with anyone without covering all the bases.
I'm very much a newcomer, but this is the way I see things:

It is sad to realize that contracts are the way to go in today's world. It just points to an overall lack of ethics. I know I've made my mistakes - none of us are perfect - but it's how we handle the outcome that defines us. I have no direct knowledge of what transpired in 2012, however seeing lies being told, just to have an excuse for not shipping on time, is disheartening. Not even attempting to give credit where credit was due, no matter the value now - which sure isn't the same as back then. That kind of betrayal of trust hurts and that hurt is not easy to put away!

Not speaking out about crypto issues in my house was eating away at me and once the separation was final, it was time to rectify that mistake. I don't know how many I may have hurt with my actions and that I will have to live with.

I was one of those people that still believed that a persons word had weight. I trusted my mentor and expected to be treated with the same amount of trust and honesty as was being given.