FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Jim Talioferro - Dead Shipment/Unresponsive
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #95
kyryah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckels View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this. There are plenty of people who will defend any animal. Heck, you could call PETA and I'm sure they'd give you an attorney on their dime.

I am expecting a call back tomorrow from my old local F&W Service guy, he'll fill me in on if anything can be done, and who to call.

I can't say this enough, this is the most cruel thing I've seen to date.

Trey Jackson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
I really hate such blanket statements.
Although LE can take action, and some may, chances are that LE would refer such cases to Animal Control, Game Warden, etc.
Not because they do not care, but because there may be a "feel" that such cases (re. animals) are more appropriate to be handled by agencies that deal, more specifically, with animals.
I can tell you, first hand, that there are plenty of LE officers that do care ... and care a lot.
Also, if the OP is not refunded, it would be a civil matter (under the eyes of the law). The male being smaller, than what was stated (in private communication), would also be a civil matter.
Smuggling (should that be a case) is also handled by different agencies.
Fraud could be taken up, by LE, but I don't think that fraud fits into this because Jim did send what was advertised (the female).

That said, this situation (with the tortoises) just sickens me to no end. It creates an "agony", within me, when I think of what these tortoises must have gone through ... especially that poor, beautiful, female!
Wish I could place the responsible individuals in an oven... tit for tat.
However, since that is not possible (or legal), I truly hope some productive legal measures, along with animal cruelty charges, can/will be taken upon Jim and his SO.
I understand what both of you are saying, and I don't want to drag things way off topic here, but please take note of the fact that I live in Michigan. I have also been involved in rescue for the last 18 years. I have placed numerous calls to many agencies for many different cases of cruelty, and most often nothing is done. I have seen live turtles wrapped up in cellophane and stacked up on the floor of an Asian market, and made NUMEROUS calls to several enforcement agencies and, guess what, that market is still selling those turtles.

I have called the DNR numerous times to report people harassing, harming and even removing protected turtles from the wild and blatantly selling them. Nothing was ever done.

My statement was not meant to insult any officers, mainly to state what my observations in this state are. And, to be frank, it is that they do not care enough about reptiles. If it is a pony or a puppy or a kitten, you betcha, they are right there. But there is a reason that I no longer do cat/dog/horse rescue, and focus on reptiles. It is because there are so few that will stand up for them in this area.

And I will never forget the Turn 3 Ranch fiasco in Jackson, MI.

But, I digress completely from the topic and shall at this point bow out gracefully. I hope beyond hope that the person that tortured those poor tortoises is brought to justice.