FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - My New Savannah
Thread: My New Savannah
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Chris Wilkinson
wrong assumption get out of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodwin View Post
I don't know what you are referring to as far as chemicals. When I had fish, the only chemicals I used were aqua safe to de-chlorinate the water and If I had snails, I added calcium to the water (Neither of those are dangerous considering we dust insects with calcium and there are products similar to aqua safe marketed for use with reptiles). The only exception was if I had live plants. Then I would also add O2 and fertilizer. I suppose the fertilizers could be potentially harmful.

I'm not saying this means that fish should be fed, as this does not change the nutritional value. I'm just saying that chemicals shouldn't affect their use.
you have no idea what importers and breeders use before you get them. I've worked with several importers and this is the basic list of chemicals used to reduces stress realted dieases. I've had to mix several compounds to treat hundreds of tropical fish before shipping.

Methyene Blue Toxic carcinogen handle with care no direct exposure to skin
Dimethylamino Toxic carcinogen handle with care no direct exposure to sking in powder form use a reporator when mixing
Phenylbenzyidene Toxic carcinogen handle with care. in powder form use a resporator when mixing
Cyclohexadien Toxic carcinogen handle with care
Xylidene Toxic carcinogen handle with care.

Thses are just th basic chemical load fish will have in there system and flesh forever and is transmitted directly to anything feed them. Not bad if you feed them to another fish. If there exotic then all bets are off as in foreign countries they do not have the restrictions and what chemicals you can use and buy.