FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - It's not over *Please read*
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Jay Sommers Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
But if amphibians were to be included on the injurious list and treated the same as the burmese pythons, wouldn't that mean that if I were breeding Red Eyed Tree Frogs for instance that I couldn't sell any of my CB offspring across state lines unless each one were certified Chytrid free?
The potential cost and hassle of obtaining such certifications for what may be several hundred froglets per year for a breeder would in essence make it no longer feasible to produce them.
Exactly.That is the point.Can you imagine if you wholesale redeyes for $10-$20 now having to pay up to $30 per frog to test?Then wait for the results,then apply for a permit that doesn't exist(they would have to invent one) then wait the 3-4 months to get approved?$40-$80 wholesale redeyes?No market,plus you can not get a permit for transporting any species of animal listed in the lacey act as injurous wildlife.It isn't happening.It has to be for bona fide scientific,medical,educational or zoological purposes only.They are not going to reinvent the permit system at the DMA to make a special provision for amphibians who are tested and cleared for chytrid. They don't have the staff.They will just list them and call it done.Hell its already taking many months just to get approval for a cb cites permit from the DMA they couldn't handle this too. everything would be so backlogged its ridiculous.