FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Sights, sounds, and scents
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
On the subject of scents, I find it incredible that I can have all Boas asleep in their cages, in their hides, and I can put some rats in the bathtub to thaw out, close the door to the bathroom, and walk into the living room, and see every one of them with their heads poking out of the hide, muscles tensed up, reacting to movement, ready to be fed.
Rich, soon as I read the section above (before getting to the last) I started thinking. Until recently I fed by schedule pretty much religiously & always figured they were out ready to go because we built a solid routine. (which I almost dont like) & never even considered they could pick up the scent that far away from inside a plastic bag. I could walk in on feeding day & actually tell you if it was after 8:00pm or not yet.

Honestly, just my opinion but snakes like any other critter will take advantage of an easy meal if it's pretty much guaranteed to be there at a certain time. at least that's the way it has always been my experience on trash night with raccoons, lol.

It's an old photo but by looking, it's exactly like you mentioned. It was as if one yelled to the other "hey wake up, it's almost dinner time".

You mention taking a few shots because of outside factors such as sight & sound. I been pretty lucky the last few years. Some of that may be because I kind of figured out who doesn't take well to being handled so I attempt to let them be snakes as much as i can & try not to stress them out if I dont have to but I honestly think gloves play a role for me too. Occasionally, depending on my mood I will put them on but not really for protection against them but more for them against myself. The gloves, even if that's all i have on give me more confidence & grip which i think puts a larger snake more at ease. Maybe it's just natural reaction but still I tend to think these critters are just a little smarter then people sometimes give them credit for.