FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Supreme court to reconsider sales tax on interstate commerce
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So unless each state is going to begin intercepting packages coming into their state, how are they going to KNOW who owes them state sales tax?
States will likely enter reciprocating agreements where when they audit businesses in their own state, they send the info on how much business that company did (#transactions, #sales, etc) did with buyers in other states. Part of the agreement could include the company's state being able to collect for other states on their behalf, with offsetting credits/debits between the states as needed.

I was audited three years in a row; WV basically wanted everything I had for 2010-2012. I ended up turning over a dump of all QuickBooks invoices and expenses, all bank statements, all receipts proving expenses, etc. So it would have been child's play to compile my customer list by state along with how much the customers purchased, and pass that info along to other states.