FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New baby hognose not eating...tips?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
Pbar22
Hi Lauren,

There is the old the paper bag trick I learned about many years ago, seems to work most of the time (not always) but it is worth a try.

Get a small paper bag (lunch bags are the perfect size for a small snake), prep the bag by opening it, then folding the top over 2-3 times, poke a few small holes for air near the top under the fold. Get the pinkie ready, at least room temp or a little warmer.

Put the snake in the bag, drop the pinkie in the bag and fold the top over, secure the top with 'binder clips' (like used with a small stack of paper) or use a stapler and place the bag in the cage or other warm secure location, in case the snake were to get out. I recommend using the binder clips as they are easier to remove and peek inside.

I would leave the bag alone for about 2 hours and then check the results, if that does not work, toss the pinkie, maybe wait a day and repeat the process before bed-time with a fresh/new pinkie and leave her in the bag with the pinky overnight. Again this has usually worked for me, but not always - I think having the snake in such a small area with the prey item and zero distractions helps the process.

If this does work, try doing it for several feedings and then try the tongs again until she seems to finally get comfortable, sometimes snakes can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to get used to their new surroundings.

If the bag trick does not work with F/T pinks, I would recommend trying 'live' pinkies until she feeds several times (you can try the bag trick with live pinkies as well) and then go back to trying F/T with tongs.

Hope this helps and works - Good Luck!