FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Someone sell me on rosy boas
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
RodentBreath
I've had rosy boas for about 20 years, Kenyan sand boas for about 15.

Apart from their habitat (I actually have caged mine together for over a decade), there isn't much similar in their temperaments. Kenyans are very shy, sometimes skittish, and generally don't feel comfortable out in the open. Rosy boas are very mellow, almost impossible to spook. I've had them hang out on the couch for over an hour, making no real effort to hide or escape. Both are infrequent biters, with most incidents being feeding related. But rosy boas are definitely more known for "latching on" so its critical that they be regularly handled to get them used to not associating your scent with feeding time.

As for pets, I can't particularly recommend Kenyans, they're gorgeous but not really "handling" snakes. Rosies IMO are top of the list for casual snake owners - very docile, very easy to care for, very hardy, fairly low priced.

If you get one, don't be in a rush. Get your cage and equipment set up, and don't skimp (its mostly a one time expense, buy right the first time). Then wait for a local reptile show in your area, or search around for a local breeder. NOTHING beats examining the animal in person, getting its background, and talking with a breeder in person.