FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - High End Herps (Inquiry)
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #1957
Dr Owens
Humane Society gets 16 dogs, 5 cats after snake farm bust

By Billie Jo Rassat

These dogs were among the 16 rescued from the High End Herps Snake Farm in Oakdale, La. and taken to the Humane Society.

By Billie Jo Rassat
Beauregard Daily News
Mon Apr 05, 2010, 12:00 PM CDT
Print This | ShareThis

Rosepine, La. - ROSEPINE—The Humane Society of West Louisiana took in sixteen dogs and five cats after Oakdale snake farm High End Herps was raided by police.
The Allen Parish Sheriff’s Office executed a search warrant at the home of 43-year-old David Beauchemin and 23-year-old Tawni Beauchemin on March 19.
The search warrant was issued after the sheriff’s office received a public complaint alleging the Beauchemin’s were illegally selling animals on the Internet.
Lidnsey Rainer made the public complaint.
Rainer rescued a Blue Doberman and put it on Craigslist so it would get adopted. A woman named ‘Jenny’ contacted her through e-mail stating that she wanted to surprise her husband with a Blue Doberman, according to Rainer.
Jenny turned out to be Tawni Beauchemin from High End Herps.
After giving the dog to ‘Jenny’, three days later Rainer saw the dog up for sale on Craigslist from ‘Happy Hound Rescue’, said Rainer.
Very suspicious, Rainer made the complaint to police on Thursday, March 18.
By Friday Rainer had her dog back.
“I am glad I got my dog back and got the other animals out of there and it all turned out in the end,” said Rainer.
While transporting the animals from Oakdale to the Humane Society in Rosepine, La. one dog died due to malnutrition.
One feline from the group of animals was euthanized due to extreme pneumonia developed by dehydration and poor living conditions according to Rita Bingham, Humane Society of West Louisiana Director.
“I had good people come forward and help me. On Saturday night, in the pouring rain that Deputy stood there and unloaded all of those animals, waited until we dried them, waited until we had them put up and fed them. He didn’t leave until everything was done. I have nothing but the up most respect for that man. They could not have been more corporative in rescuing those animals,” said Bingham.
Wildlife agents cited the Beauchemin’s with 22 counts of illegally possessing pythons over 12 feet in length without the required permit.
Deputies also cited David Beauchemin with obstruction of justice after he allegedly tried to stop the search warrant from being executed.