FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - African Soft Fur Rats
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #16
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
One thing to consider is the regulations in your area. These critters are masters in the art of escaping and boy do they reproduce! Where there are cold winters I guess we would be kind of safe, but I don't really know what ecological nightmare they can create if they get loose in FL.

Regards,
That's a very interesting thought, Dan. I have thought about that around here, as I have had issues with a certain age of baby ASF escaping the racks, apparently just old enough to be getting quite active, yet small enough to squeak through the space between the top of the tub and the rack section above. I've found a couple on the floor of the rodent room alive and well, and a couple of them OUTSIDE of the room....and I have no earthly idea how they could have gotten out of the room itself. (They were little ASF-sicles though, the bulding outside of the room is not heated).

I have put a shim of sorts in the rack now, so I can barely slide the tubs in and out, but as far as I can tell, it's keeping them in. My ol man's theory was to put cats in the rodent room to destroy all escapees before entering the outside world LOL.

But seriously, I have heard rumor that ASF are not allowed some places, but have not been able to find much in the way of documentation of anything of the sort.