FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Attention gmail, yahoo, and other email service users
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
WebSlave
Yeah, I suspect the majority of the problem may be because some members just set the way spam is handled in their mail reader too strictly. I'm presuming that gmail and the like have optional settings about what to do with spam. Of course, once someone does that, they have virtually cut off communication with this site, and there is not any way to alert them that they need to make a change in order to resume communications. They've basically painted themselves into a corner.

So, I'm sure a lot of people are grumbling about me not answering their emails. Honestly any more when I see an email from gmail, yahoo, etc. I first send a very brief reply just to see if they even receive it. No sense wasting my time with a long involved answer if they aren't going to get it any way.

I asked my programmer about this problem and he said it is common to all sites that have fairly high traffic. What happens in a lot of cases is that people will sign up on a site, frequent it for a bit, generating notification emails for each and every thread they participate in or are interested in, and then when their interest wanes, instead of coming back to the site to cancel the subscription notifications, will simply start marking such emails as SPAM in order to stop receiving them. So the email services then start taking note of those spam claims and then classify the site as being a spam generator because of the thoughtless actions of those former members. Not much that can be done about it from the forum site's end, unfortunately. Maybe if the spam blocking algorithms of those email sites had a bit more intelligence about them they could see what was actually going on. But honestly, they probably really don't give a damn either way.

Seriously, if it wouldn't be akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face, the best thing to do would be to just block those email providers completely. But certainly that just is not feasible to do, unfortunately.

Of course, the irony to this is that nearly all the SPAM we all get comes THROUGH those very same email providers.