FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Cape House Snake or Brown House Snake - how do I tell which one I've got?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Ssthisto
Unfortunately, all that link told me is that yes, I've got either a Cape or a Brown - because the outward colour/shape of the two species, based on those photos, are the same. It doesn't help that THOSE photos go against what I'd read on another site - in the photos on that link, it's the Capes that have an eye stripe that continues down the neck before breaking, and the Browns that have the eyestripe that breaks at the base of the skull. Cinnamon looks very much like the first photo of the Cape - but she also looks like the first and third photos of the Browns.

Cape House Snakes were originally classified as Lamprophis fuliginosus - until they discovered that animals from the Cape localities were not cross-fertile with the animals from further north - they produce very poor, small clutches and the offspring that do make it tend to be infertile themselves. Then they were renamed to Lamprophis capensis.

That's why something like scale count differences or a dichotomous key would be useful... because I don't really want to have to test Cinnamon against WC males of known locality/species and making her lay at least one clutch of "doesn't work" eggs.