FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Grey tree frog help
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #5
elena
Forgot to mention, calcium deficiency could be the reason or part of the reason why one of the frogs is having trouble using its legs. Lack of calcium can cause metabolic bone disease (MDB), which can result in difficulties with mobility in more severe cases. There are other possible causes as well, but MBD is very common in captive herps that haven't been receiving the right care. It can be overcome with proper supplementation and lighting, but some animals may have lasting deformity and/or mobility problems even after care has been corrected. I have not worked with frogs that had this ailment, but I have worked with a number of lizards that had it. The fact that the frog can move its legs a small amount when disturbed suggests that the lack of mobility is not due to a spinal injury, which is another common cause of mobility problems. Animals that survive MBD and have their care corrected can go on to live a normal lifespan, even those that suffer from deformity or mobility problems. I've seen it many times.