FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - getting " envenomated " can get you ........
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #88
crotalusadamanteus
Well, I don't know why He wouldn't mind putting his two cents in here. He is a member here and many other forums. Don't know how busy He is right now, but I will ask Him. Now Him I would refer to as knowing his stuff. Do you have the book HH? I passed only because i had other literature to buy at the time.

As for the email, I pretty much reframed from mentioning fauna, or Vinny and merely asked if he has heard of any isolated population of adamanteus in South florida, that have "primarily" neurotoxic properties in their venom.... That should be pretty close to a sumation of my question.

"C adamanteus that carry a large concentration of neurotoxins is fairly
widespread. I personally witnessed one envenomation from a 4' female
that was caught in South GA. Aside from a significant amount of edema,
every symptom was neurotoxic. From speaking to others, this is a common
occurrence. It seems that adamanteus is following suit with C h
atricaudatus in basically "reconfiguring" their venom load. In fact, I
have seen amazingly few adamanteus envenomations in recent years that
have necrosis. I can't think of any specific papers off the top of my
head regarding adamanteus specifically, but there is no doubt that high
concentrations of neurotoxins are common, if not the norm."

His response shocked Me to be honest. Not just yes, but fairly wide spread, and more than one species. Seems to Me perhaps a little "adaptation" or "evolution" is in the process. ?? I was fairly surprised back when i learned of C.v. helleri possessing neurotoxins. Now two more. I am anxious to here from Dr. Fry. Now I feel outdated and have to do some research. HA HA

Rick