FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - A scary day: Barely avoided a bad car wreck, need advice...
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Lifeforms
I'm so glad that things did not go as badly as they could have.
For my two cents, you can find sensible lists of gear in a lot of places. You need a phone, which everybody has already. Think about who to call and what you'll say. It helps to just think about stuff like mental practice. I like Cody Lundin's book called The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive. It's more like universal situation stuff, but very fundamental, straightforward.
What you need on hand in a medical kit is always directly related to your level of training and skill. Probably the main thing is to get some good first responder training. Get psychologically prepared to do the right thing, and you'll rock. It'll be cool. It's not even that hard.
Your water is a good idea to always have around. Ambulances use just tons of sterile saline, so I always grab some saline squirt bottles- the kind people use for contact lenses. Those rock. Some guys take advantage of absorbent materials for dressing wounds with like maxi pads or tampons or like diapers and stuff.
Please always be alert and aware of your surroundings and protect yourself first. If something happens to you, now you're a complication to an already bad situation you wanted to help out with.
Your PPE -personal protective equipment like gloves and eye protection and whatever is most appropriate is the stuff that will keep the badness from coming home with you. Don't worry about looking nerdy or overprepared. It's professonal protection for you.
All kinds of stuff can be modded into good splints. So that's fun. All that stuff is fun.
I need to break this off, I know, but stay safe out there. People are crazy.
I am a former EMT-Paramedic who is sure that he will wish he had written something better. Thanks, Tuppo Your best tool is your mind.