FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The Humane Society soled me out!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
It's sad, but it comes with the territory. Been there done that. I don't know what the heck they would be charging you with? Tresspass? Pftht. You did what needed to be done for the sake of the animal.
I read the links and I respectfully disagree with the above part of Cat's post.

It really is horrible the condition of the horse.

I'm curious though Bill, you stated on the thread over there that the horse had been locked in that, whatever it is since December and here you stated November. I'm curious to know how you know that? You entered this property twice and you have made very direct statements that it was never let out.

Your first post stated you discovered the horse four or five days ago. You then were advised to not trespass on the property to go back and get the pictures but to get what you could from off the property. Obviously you went right on their property and entered the structure.
The others in that thread recommending breaking parts of the property to free the horse.

I agree, that horse is in sad shape and to abuse an animal is cruel but when and where do individuals lose their rights?

This post isn't going to win me any points but it's something I feel strongly about so I'm going to go down that road anyway. All of us care about our animals and respect them and is, in part, the reason we are here. We don't like to see abuse. I don't know much about Canadian rights or history so my perspective is American as can be.

Your first post.

Quote:
Apr 22, 2008
I had my dog out in the country today( im not saying where at this point) he went on to someones property, i followed the place was so disgusting it was like a junkyard but it wasn't it was someones home! a filthy mess im not exaggerating only pics could describe the filth!!!

I came across a shack with a horse in it that looked like it belonged in a threedworld Country it was falling apart, when I say falling apart that's an understatement! there were holes everywhere! the roof was patched with tarps that were torn to sheds, the walls patched with chipboard that the horse was chewing through. it was unreal you had to see it to believe what im telling you

So you entered someones property made a judgment call on the people that lived their based on your visual inspection of their home and decided they were beneath you. You were "out in the country" as you stated. This area wasn't your home. You were a guest to the area. I gather from the thread that it is a poor farming area that you were a visitor in. Anyway, while trespassing on their property you located a shack and found the horse in sad condition.

The horse shouldn't have been in the condition it was. You shouldn't have been on their property. Regardless of what you found, I have a hard time separating those issues.

I don't live in the country but I have relatives that do live in very poor farming areas. Our standards of living are different but they are still entitled to basic rights of their land and home.

That stated, it appears the horse was being neglected. I care for my animals
and don't like to see neglect or abuse.

My opinion would be the same if you were a PETA nut that entered a testing facility to free rats, monkeys and cats. I may not agree with everything that transpires and more humane methods may need to be found but you don't have a right to destroy their property just as you do not have a right to enter this persons land. That goes for your dog too.

You have a right to disagree with someone wearing a fur coat but you don't have a right to throw paint on it.

You have a right to look down your nose at someone living on a poor farm but you have no right to violate their home and property.

Anyone can have the right to ignorantly believe that we should not keep snakes. They can believe if they choose that racks and bins are cruel to keep snakes and rats in. But, if you come on to my property to take pictures of rats in the barn or snakes in the racks or enter my home or property without permission, I should have every right to put you and your dog down.

I guess, I can separate the issues. You have every right to report something you believe is wrong. If I see an animal being severally mistreated, I would do what my conscience dictates. I would also defend my property rights, Cathy's and yours even if you lived in a junkyard.