FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please read: Pending Lawsuit from Venomous Snake Bite
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 01:04 PM   #12
David Boggs
Bush viper bite

I am a registered nurse and I can tell you what most likely happened when the boy arrived at the ER. The staff would have done an assessment and vital signs. The ER doc would have tried to determine the species and how much venom was injected. Amputation is not indicated in this situation. A fasciotomy (splitting of the skin and muscles) may be indicated depending on the amount of swelling. Unresponsive or comatose disposition is unlikely.

We have a fellow here in Houston that was bitten by an adult red spitting cobra and all he experienced was pain and then numbness. He spent 7 days in the hospital with no antivenin, no special meds, no anything other than IV fluids. He was never faint, nauseated, or passed out.

Back to the boy... I suspect he suffered little effects of the venom if any. In my profession we have to distinguish between "trauma and drama." Perhaps he was milking the whole being at the center of attention thing for all it is worth. Legally I know you may not access his confidential medical information with out the mother's permission or a court order. If you are inclined to interview the ER staff you may try. They are able to tell you general things but if they stonewall you it is not in defense of the boy but protection of their jobs. Medical people can get fired for even a small confidentially infraction.

Dude, I wish you luck in this matter. I have purposely avoided commenting on the legal aspects of the transaction. Not my expertise nor my business. Take care, David