FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Anyone else still or currently keeping ratites (emus, rheas, ostriches)?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Chance
Anyone else still or currently keeping ratites (emus, rheas, ostriches)?

I'm just curious if anyone that visits these boards is either still keeping or is currently keeping ratites, either for livestock or just as pets? It seems like any more, with the rather abrupt collapse of the market for them in the mid 90s, people got rid of them as fast as they could without even thinking about it, not realizing there is still quite a bit of promise for the usefulness of these birds. Not only that, but IMHO, they make some of the most fascinating pet birds imaginable. Too many people have far fetched stories about their aggression and such, but I've never encountered a ratite that I would consider in any way aggressive. I've had emus and rheas in the past, and currently have an adult trio of rheas I was just fortunate to acquire. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone out there still maintained these awesome birds. I recently placed an ad on here at http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...hreadid=45279, because I was given 3 eggs with the rheas and they've since continued to lay. I guess I'm just hoping to help show the potential pet quality of these birds and see if other people can think of them in the same manner. Thanks for reading!
-Chance