FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Terri Sommella Fire and Ice Dragons -- Nightmare
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #19
jnewsome26
Xelda,

I realize low temps will slow a reptiles metabolism...or at least that's what my Bio teacher tells me Like I said, I thought Terri's temp gradient seemed a bit low, but both books I quoted have the basking spot temp. in the 90-100 range, and she said it would void the warranty if we didn't follow her instructions, so I went with it. Besides, she is an experienced breeder, and I felt I could trust her. Once I turned the temps up I did not expect Skadi to turn around right away. I gave her 2 days, which I'll grant isn't that long, but by then it had been a while since I'd given her the formula so I felt I had to do something NOW to keep her alive. So I packed her off to EBV. Even with them it took her several days, 6 I believe (I'll check with them and get back to you)before she would eat. I did not continue to feed the formula because Terri said dragons could get addicted to it, and refuse other food. I didn't know if this was true or not, but at the time I still felt I could trust her, and saw no reason to take the risk. The really inexplicable thing to me was that through all this Skadi remained alert and active. She never drooped, or showed signs of lethargy. She was always active, watching her surroundings with her tail up, and eyes bright. Go fig huh?

Jonathan Newsome