FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Eastern kingsnake morphs
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
WebSlave
I believe it was a guy named Bob Fengya who told me about very broad banded eastern kings being found off of Caratoke HWY (route 158) in coastal North Carolina. I kicked around there a little bit, but never was able to find any. Didn't find ANY kings, btw, so I can't confirm that info either way. I honestly didn't look very hard, because every time I was in that area, I was actually on the way to the Outer Banks. I lived in Maryland at the time, btw.

And, of course, I kicked around on Hatteras and Okracoke looking for the chimera (IMHO)L. g. sticticeps. I did find a number of kings on Hatteras, however none of which looked like what sticticeps should look like. The original writeup by Barbour and Engle mentioned a number of characteristics about this animal which I am skeptical about. Besides the fact that that writeup was based on a single animal collected on Okracoke. One of the original characteristics identifying sticticeps was that it would not eat other snakes. I had some examples gotten from other people now and again, and I would dare anyone to throw a corn snake that they really wanted to keep in with any of them. Another identifying feature mentioned was that there were no other snakes to be found on Okracoke, but I certainly found a black racer there. So no, I am just not convinced.

Anyway, sorry about going somewhat off topic.