FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Market Price For Balls
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Tiger Lilly
So that's how it's done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
There are a couple of obvious things I have to point out.
- So many people focus on getting into breeding...and a lot of them want to get into it hard & fast. They build collections quickly, without gaining the knowledge and experience we once considered necessary building blocks. They produce more babies than they are prepared to deal with long term, and aren't willing to wait for their price. Prices get lowered because they now have to house, feed, clean extra animals; and getting rid of them is more important than any sort of price control....SO they start dropping prices until they reach their goal - and without concern for the effects it will have in the future (as you indicated)
There's more to that part, but I'm eager to move on.
- Besides, while that is great in theory, and a wonderful explanation, Sammy sets the prices.
For some reason, I have this incredible craving for 'burgers...and I can't seem to get the mental picture out of my head of Sammy hunched over his computer figuring out the market prices for us!

On a more serious note, I agree with Harald's points. And you can tell that the ones who build their collections quickly are:
1 - in it for the money they think they'll make;
2 - not around after a couple of years because they didn't make the money.

I started building my collection in 2004 and am just now getting around to breeding. I bought babies because I couldn't afford to buy adults. I grew them up slowly because I was in no great hurry to make lots of money. I have just now gotten around to breeding because I have most of the combos I wanted to start with. It is a hobby I love. I'm not in it for the millions, but hey, if it happens I won't turn it down!
Money-hungry "backyard breeders" aren't doing us any favors by hatching out more than they can deal with, and then lowering the prices in order to recoup some of their monies.

Sammy, put me on the 'market price mailing list'...............