FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Inquiry Underground Reptiles: Sick animal inquiry?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
tlmoon
I've never heard of this disease before, but a quick google search is certainly concerning.

It looks from underground's site that their water snakes are WC, and this disease has been found in WC water snakes (as well as others). So it seems possible that a person could be be sent infected snakes.

I don't know enough to know if this is the sort of thing you take a chance with, with WC animals, or if it's something that could infect a whole collection that a seller should be monitoring for. I think there is a big difference between a rare and/or emerging disease that takes everyone by surprise, and a known issue that a seller knows about and sends out sick animals anyway. Obviously we don't know enough yet to ascertain that yet...it would be good if Underground responds either to the OP or here.

OP, I'm glad you're bringing this up since it could be a major problem if this disease breaks out all over and wreaks havoc. I'm sure you will get a lot of questions - most folks here try to be fair, and you may get a lot of questions and requests for evidence. Which is only fair, as Lucille pointed out. I really hope we don't end up with something like chytrid in frogs....not only is that awful, but it leads to a need for laws banning the sale of animals, and all that kind of stuff. Anyway, it will be interesting to see the discussion on this scary sounding issue.

And last but not least, I'm sorry for your poor snakes! Horrible to have them so ill. I hope there is a treatment?