FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Venomoids, the right and the wrong.
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #113
Strike_Force_Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by adder View Post
STF you wrote:
"free handling is not what I would consider a safe handling technique. "
This is common perception and one I share often, BUT from an animal welfare perspective "free handling" is better than sticks, tongs and other forcible restrictions.
We free handle all snakes, including world's deadlest at our snake shows - always - we don;t carry sticks of any sort! and at Snakebusters we put the snake's welfare first and this is what separates us from other snake handlers in Australia - period!
Also it is a commonly known FACT that a snake that has been free handled often and with care and respect, loses the urge to bite (usually), and this is seen in pet colubrids, pythons and dare I say it, .... venomoids, that are free handled daily.
But lets agree to disagree, you are against snake's welfare and I am for it, and that's OK.
While talking venomoids I can say I have managed to get a heap of venom from a pair of venomoids recently by breeding them and getting a heap of babies, all with venom.
Seven Eastern Brown Snake eggs hatched today, 100 per cent hatch rate and both parents have been venomless for years! Another lot are in the incubator as well!
Another snake handler here in Australia has this week, just been carted to hospital in a chopper after getting chomped by a Brown snake here in Australia (while stick handling in a show) and nearly died and that is not some risk I would give my staff, so we only use venomoid (defintion - no venom - ever!) browns.
ALL THE BEST
congrads on the browns! thanks for this post Ray, its the first normal post u made here and thats all we were looking for. here is the thing that we are all saying about venomoids.... what we are saying is just because its a "Venomoid" doesnt make it safe. people do make mistakes and if someone fails to do it proper they still thinks its a venomoid so its labeled as a venomoid but noone knows that it could regenerate because the person messed up. yes "venomoid" means no venom but u have to agree if someone does it wrong "venomoid" could turn back into fully loaded. i dont see anything wrong with using hooks because it is an extention of yourself but i dont agree with using tongs unless there is no other option because of the danger of injuries to the snake. i do understand why you use venomoids for shows as i use venomoids for shows as well but i do not agree at all with free handling. if you must do it do it out of sight of the public and if you do do it in public please let everyone know not to do it many times in your shows. my main concern is the people at my shows, my second concern is myself and then my snake. again thanks for that post, it expresses more of your views than just blasting at people. i will now respond to your posts again