FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Best Dwarf Bci locality
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Krj-2501
Well - after looking at some research papers on wild Hogg island Boas - I need to make some corrections to some of my previous statements.

Quote:
Here is what I mean - the Cayos Cochinos (Hogg Islands) are no larger than Caye Caulker or Caye Crawl in overall size. And the wild original Hog Island Boas were also as small as the Caulker Cay/Crawl Cay boas - in other words were about 5 feet/1.52 meters (maximum). But the Hog Island Boa have now been bred in captivity for about 3 decades (7-10 generations). So that it is likely 7-10 generations of very well feeding and possible some cases a bit of over feeding - so now the maximum size of the pure blood CB Hog Island Boas is about 7 feet/2.13 meters for females.
Well, based on a 2004-2005 study of the Boas of Cayos Cochinos (hog island) - the research group captured & released(after scientific data was collected) 169 adult Hog island Boas, or about 25% of the estimated adult population on the islands at that time. They found the average size of wild adult females to be about 4.5 feet/1.37 meters in Total Length. With the adult males - averaging about 3.9 feet/1.19 meters in total length. But in that average female size - there was at least 3 exceptional large females. The largest of which was about 7.2 feet/2.2 meters in total length, and weighed about 12 lbs/5.5 kg. the other 2 large females was about 6-6.5 feet/1.83-1.98 meters, and weighed 7.5-10 lbs/3.5-4.6 kg.