FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - To Jump or Not To Jump
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 03:26 AM   #76
Python Dreams
Wes and Brian,
Their is no possiblility whatsover that any of those snakes are pastels. The one on the left side is the one I believe you are referring too. It has the blushing going down the back that is similar to what you find in pastels, but that is it and the blushing does not seem to be near as intense. It looks brown, not yellow or even light. The eyes appear to be dark not light or gray. The belly is not visible, but is it patternless? There does not appear to be a two tone of gold (or brown in your case) from the top to the bottom. I dont know what else you want to hear about that snake in particular. Without better pictures or without seeing it in person, that snake is not a Pastel or Pastel Jungle Ball Python and to name it such is deceptive and scammish. Even if those genes passed on, they are not near a pastel and do not bring interest from that pattern or any genetics involved with that. I would not take that snake from you for free if it is a male. Most breeders would probably not take the time to try and prove out minor differences in pattern such as your snakes unless they have quite a few distinct and very noticable differences. Like the Pastels.
It is noones business what anyone decides to charge for any possesion wether it be $1.00 or $100,000. But what some fail to realize is that Seames is 100% correct. When you attach a name to an animal that is accepted in the industry as a desired trait, if this animal does not have this trait you are somewhat tricking people into buying it. What happens if they dont ask? Are you going to tell them Brian? Will you give them the speech about how this probably is a Pastel, but does not come with paperwork since the genetics are not proven. Even hinting to that is downright fraudulent and would make you to be pretty much a lowlife in my book. Its strange how your looking for answers that it is o.k. to use the term Pastel from people that do not know Ball's, and trying to find leverage that way instead of just asking actual people in the Ball Python industry. One visit to any of the "Big Breeders" would clear it up right away. Instead you want to act like their is some big Pastel conspiracy going on and that their are normals out their that look exactly like Pastels but since it is not from the original lineage that it does not count. That is all ridiculous and you really should change your way of thinking. If your going to be involved in selling Ball Pythons and you want to be taken seriously why would you disregard all the work and effort out that has been done, just so hopefully you can feel like you happened upon a morph without having to do any research or spend any money. Its just all of us ingnorant people trying to hold down the market and deny that you own a Pastel. But, whatever.... Do what you rationalise is the right thing to do instead of JUST ASKING EXPERTS IN THE FEILD. Im sure that will bring you alot closer to owning a pastel (at least in your mind, and the mind of the soon to be possibly scammed customer).
Thanks, Tom Baker