FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Couple questions...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
CyberReader
Question Couple questions...

Hi, I have a couple of questions. I have a young female hognose that's acting a little weird. She paces a lot. Originally she was cruising around her tank, but now she's sticking to the cooler side...then she burrows down for the night.

I have her in a 10 gallon tank with aspen shavings. The hot spot is 90 degrees and she has a hide on both the hot and cool side (which is about 70-80). She was drinking a lot of water so I worried I had the cage too dry and just put in a moist hide. She immediately used it. She is literally climbing the walls of her cage though so I want to make sure there isn't something else I can do for her. Are hognose really as active as my little girl, or am I inadvertently stressing her out? She's my first hognose and the web has so many different opinions on how to care for them!

Another thing that isn't really clear to me is how often to feed her. I was feeding her pinkies every M W F and that was good but she's big enough to take a fuzzy now. Should I keep on with the pinkie regime, or start her on fuzzies? Once a week or more often? My adult garter takes a fuzzy a week but I've read that hogs have higher metabolisms.

Thanks for reading my enormous post! Any help will be greatly appreciated.