FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Finding Melissa Kaplan
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 01:36 AM   #43
snakegetters
Quote:
Originally posted by wilomn I reckon since we aren't in her "club" we don't have opinions that make enough sense/difference to change her mind.
I reckon you are making up silly things about clubs because you insist on categorizing everything in black and white. Real life doesn't work that way.

Yes, there are legitimate concerns that were brought up about the corn snake care sheet. No, Melissa Kaplan is not infallible and I don't agree with every recommendation she makes. No, she did not get everything wrong, and she is not the evil Antichrist. Give it a rest already. It sounds to me like it has become rather the fashionable thing to disparage Melissa Kaplan and to accuse her of all manner of evils, including some she isn't committing.

Whether you like her politics or not, it is a fact that Kaplan's pages are recommended by acknowledged world experts in reptile medicine. I do not particularly care if pointing out this fact makes me unpopular and causes me to be accused of participating in some Great Evil Conspiracy or suchlike silly things. It is still a fact. If you have a problem with this fact, I recommend you contact these experts directly and discuss your specific concerns.

Ask them, "Why do you continue to recommend Ms. Kaplan's site when the following potentially harmful and misleading inaccuracies exist there?" Then supply your documentation and be prepared to back up your claims. If you do this correctly, you may accomplish something good for the community. But if you make your complaints in a discourteous and unprofessional manner without any documentation, you will be rightfully ignored as a crank. That's a lot of what I'm seeing on this thread, unfortunately.

I don't take it personally when people disagree with me; in fact I appreciate it when someone takes the time to courteously point out something I might have missed. However when people debate by name calling and making personal slurs instead of stating points of fact, they simply lose their credibility.

If there was such a thing as a "club" you would have to belong to before I am inclined to listen to you, membership could be easily obtained by the simple expedient of stating your disagreements in a calm and professional manner that focuses on the facts. Some people have done this admirably; others have not. I leave it to you to decide how your own conduct measures up to these standards.