FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Relocating wildlife (lots of photos)
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasc300 View Post
Tim let me ask you a question, If you had the choice between taking a crotalid out of an area where it was conflicting with humans, ie: school where it was going to be killed or capturing it and moving it to the mountains what would choose?

They are also relocating Kings and other species as well, keep that in mind. Not just crotalids.
Other choices and methods need to be examined.

I see what part of the problem is. EDUCATION! By removing the non-venomous snakes, rattlesnakes are being ENCOURAGED to do the same thing as the kingsnakes. The snakes would NOT be there if there wasn't a food source.

Remove the food source and the snakes will naturally stop showing up. or at least ALLOW the non-venomous snakes to stay and take care of the rodent issue so the rattlers are not attracted to the area.

I deal with these scenarios quite often. This will be a revolving door for rattlesnakes unless dealt with from an educational level.

Keep in mind, you are talking to a Yankee that arrived in Texas 26 years ago to discover that the majority of Texans that ask me to remove a rattlesnake don't have a rattlesnake but a Texas Rat Snake or Bullsnake! LOL