FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please read: Pending Lawsuit from Venomous Snake Bite
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #56
herpetological
I know this is going a bit off the origional topic however, I think that has been addressed. The rules impossed by Florida I have to agree with 100%. The fees have even increased recently. The rules for permiting are there for several reasons..... They discourage under age collectors, novelty collectors, inexperienced handlers etc. They also, insure the safety of the general public by enforcing cage requirements. In addition the inspections can insure that the specimens are being cared for properly. The only persons complaining are those who are not serious about the venomous species they wish to work with. It's a win , win situation. It gives the public assurance, the keepers a method of gaining experience before possesion and again, insures the proper care of said venomous species. The alternative is no possesion!!!!!!!! If you are coming from out of state(As scott mentioned) and have documentation of venomous experience you do not need to fulfill the 1000 hour or 1 year requirements.
Also, if this law were adopted in other states they would "granfather in" any current hot keepers. At least that is the way it has been done with new laws here. It's not as difficult to get the accredation as you would think. I've sign off on at least 12 people over the years. The only questionable accredation part is in regards to a "class" substituting for hours?????