FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - A night in heaven ?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
old guy
not to be rude but

while i agree on " other " species of turtles not on the 2 species of snappers in the USA. Look at any book of herping and see many pictures of the preferred way to hold a snapper by tail ( but also by the neck region of back of the shell ). Either you have no knowledge of the hardiness of this species or have never dealt with this species. This species is built to endure almost any kind of handling and with out consequences of injury. AND the biggest grist of the picture and sensitiveness of your observation of what you think is > the aggressiveness of the species and capacity of causing injury to not the turtle but to humans trying to pick up as other species are picked up. The snapper species can and will turn their heads up and down, side ways to sideways different than other species to deliver a very serious bite. IN all books on fieldherping that I have , the way that i held this turtle for the very short time period is the preferred way ! No buts about it ! LOL ! Oh by the way...i didn';t keep this one but have kept common snappers and alligator snappers for well over 20 years and all long term kept were all picked up this way with NO problems what so ever. Not a flame to you poster but maybe ya think I know what I'm doing ? Or anybody else ?