FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - SFD (Snake Fungal Disease) General Discussion.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 12:09 AM   #11
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamnophis123 View Post
I would be careful with remedies that have no evidence behind them. Just because this one snake recovered doesn't mean the treatment worked, or even helped. Injections are potentially problematic, especially for high strung snakes like some Nerodia.

Not saying there's is not a good intervention, just would like to see a little more supporting evidence.
I agree, but I don't think there is a ton of research - yet - on treatments that do and do not work, or even if the treatment has to be tailored to the species. For instance, if SFD entered a collection and a species like a Brazilian rainbow boa were infected, the high heat and dry conditions described as a treatment would kill the critter long before it killed the fungus. For the water snakes, if you want to increase vitamin intake is there a good way to someone inject or "gut load" the vitamins into their feeders so that you're not stressing the snake?

Another consideration is antiseptics. I noticed that bleach is mentioned a lot for disinfecting equipment and field tools, but I prefer not to use it in my snake enclosures unless they have a long time to dry even after I rinse them. It would be nice to know alternatives like F10SC or even a UV-C light are effective, and the concentration needed to kill the spores.

Speaking of the spores, is it even known if they're only ground-based or can they go airborne?