FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Appropriate viv for an adult rat snake?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
hotlips
I'm awfully "late" to this thread but snakes don't grow that fast anyway, so I'll put in my 2 cents: over the years I've kept lots of rat snakes, including nearly all the obsoleta group. Currently I have 2.2 yellow (x gulf hammock?) Florida rat snakes, and the males are a good 6 1/2' long, maybe closer to 7', while the females are about 5.5'. (these gals insist on laying about 2 doz. unfertilized eggs each, every year, so they put less into growth despite eating all they want) They love branches, but use their hide boxes too, & they do best with all the space you can give them. Mine are in 50-70 gal. tanks (4' long) with UTH & a basking light controlled with a dimmer; one thing they especially enjoy -along with their branches- is a flat or bowl-shaped basket wired onto the branches...much the way we'd use a hammock, lol. 2 of the four actually prefer to sleep in their baskets, the other 2 (1 of each gender) sleep in their hide boxes. They have plenty of personality but are docile to handle with minimal effort. My large males actually do very well with public "meet & greets" once or twice a year. Great pets!