FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Florida state law issues
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 10:38 AM   #42
brucestephenson
It is possible that these sting actions are not motivated by as much meanness on the part of the authorities, although it is a mean thing to do, but by fiscal desperation.
The U.S. economy has been in a deep recession for a few years and this has almost all states deep in the red and unable to afford the services that the citizens want the government to provide.
I think part of the reason for the stings come from pressure put on the line forces by the higher-ups to "scare up" more revenue, either by fines or "encouraging" more people to buy permits.
I want to also offer some encouragement to those who were stung. As a history buff, it is my reading that sting operations against average herpers do not hold up in court if the stung herpers are willing to challenge the charges, especially by hiring an attorney and fighting it.
The agents are often counting on you just paying the ticket or fine or accepting the confiscation of your animals, and are often shocked when a herper mounts a defense in court, or especially sues the agents for rights violations.