FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Advice on Boiga cynodon
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
terrylove
First, every snake in the Boiga genus is really cool in my opinion! Second, B. cynodon is not the easiest Boiga species to work with-not even in the top 5!

Take it from me-someone who has inadvertently killed more B cynodon that he cares to admit-they are much more fragile than the Mangrove group of B dendrophilia spp.

I am not trying to discourage you from keeping B cynodon, if that's the species you are excited about. However, I want to emphasize not-all-Boiga-are-created-the-same. A juvenile B. d. melanota for example, has a head like a tank; tough, durable and strong. B. cynodon on the other hand are fragile, lean and delicate.

I would put B. nigriceps and B. cyanea in the "good first Boiga" category. Both are beautiful, highly arboreal, take to rodents well, aren't too temperamental and are resilient captives.

Boiga divergens and latifasciata might be the easiest of all Boiga, but they come with a rather hefty price tag.

Good luck! There's not a lot of information about Boiga spp out there, but those that keep them seem willingly to share what they know!

Sincerely,

Terry