FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - oops, Kansas herping event of 4/15/06
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
old guy
Yes Sppeavy

you gotta cross those fences. Try to find a house/ranch or someone to ask. A lot of private lands out there is owned by non locals/out of towner's/not there but you have to try to ask even if the people door you knock on doesn't own the property. Ask them if they think the absence owners would care. Unless it is a very tight fence never go through it or climb it but go under. Relate this to the people that you are asking. Tell them exactly what you are doing and why. It helps sometime when ya got a young kid along. I don't know why, LOL ! I HAVE been turned down before and I still thanked them for their time. But of the last 2 weekends not one person said no.

I always get on the back roads except for a few places off of 4 and 177. Even though I'm on 99, I don't even think about trying to hunt the sides of 99 anymore. Remember to hunt west and southern exposed hills mostly with variations of southwest and southeast exposers. Some of the hill tops can be good only if the day before and that day is going to be cooler than the middle 80ties. Why, the heat on those hill tops because of the longevity of the sun beating down time wise becomes unbearable to herps where the other directional compass points, the sun moves more quickly across. On the other hand, the north sides of hills are always cooler and your nocturnal and crespuscular species don't inhabit this directional point as much because it maintains cooler for their heat purposes > thermo-regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
You mind if I ask what areas you hit? I never find that many critters in a day. I herp the hills around alma and wabansee lake and all the way up to manhattan. Are you guys crossing the barb wire fences at all? i could go for a good milksnake and speckled king day. I drive th edirt roads and look for rock ledges and good flipping stones. Ill be back out this weekend if the weather is good. I may go east though, maybe. Just curious. Later