FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Pine snake
Thread: Pine snake
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_hypo View Post
That's a great find! Rich you gotta get a picture next time. FL Pines are one of the most secretive snakes I know of.
From now on make sure you have a snake bag looped around your belt loop when working outside!
Well, I can see that "secretive" nature with this one. She was coiled up tightly just ate the base of some low brush. I was cutting through it just to open up the pathway to that section of the woods. Never would have seen that snake had I not been cutting the brush RIGHT THERE. Even with the bush cut, you would have had to look directly at her from above to see her at all. Actually glad it wasn't a diamondback, as my knuckles just about grazed the back of that piney as I moved the loppers to make another cut before I noticed her.

I've got a piece of sheet tin laying out in an area Connie and I cleared this past winter, so maybe I need to check under it now and again to see if anything is camping out under there.

Of course, our property is littered with burrows from all kinds of critters, so there could be dozens of pineys around here and I would never know it.