FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - I caught a Gray Corn snake last night!
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Kingetula
I caught a Gray Corn snake last night!

I went road cruising last night and I came across a snake crossing the road. (N.W. Jacksonville Florida) I got out and picked it up and my first thought was it was a young Yellow Rat but after looking at it closer it wasn't!! It was gray and looked just like a corn snake with the checkered belly. (Probably a year old and you can tell if it is a yellow rat or not, I even caught a year old yellow rat last night and it looked nothing like this Gray Corn snake) I have never caught a Gray Corn and honestly never thought about them till I looked in my book when I got home so most of last night I thought I had caught a Gray Rat and was shocked that I found one in Jacksonville. I have only caught Gray Rats in Tallahassee. From what I understand Gray Rats are not this far east, mostly the panhandle.

I don't keep the snakes I catch and let it go but 2 minutes down the road I thought, that was a rare find and I should go back and catch it. Of course I couldn't find it but now I am really kicking my self. (I wish I had my camera!!!) I'll probably spend many nights on that road now looking for him or his sisters and brothers.

I'm kicking myself right now. Errrr!