FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Baby savannah aggression issues
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
crossfire79
Shortly after they stop having a strong reaction to entering the room, you can perhaps try to put your hand in the cage, and try to pet him/her in the cage. But once they reach a total length of 1ft to 1.5ft I would handle them daily.
What I had done with mine may not have been the best method but it was a little more direct. I would pick mine up daily at about 8 inches long, and use my two hands as a treadmill until he tired out or calmed down.
If they go to the bathroom on you, that means you have to keep them out even longer, otherwise it becomes a conditioned response that when they want left alone thats all they have to do.
When you pick your animal up the lower you keep your hand to the ground the better, like most ground animals they have an genetic instinct to fear things that come from above, like a response to a bird overhead or other predator.
But I think most people will agree that you should let them get used to your routine, and keeping them in a busy part of the house is perhaps a good way to start socializing a savannah monitor. Letting them get used to human traffic before you start touching them in the cage. Giving them warms baths, about 15 minutes at a time once or twice a week might be something a sub adult monitor will enjoy. Leave the water shallow enough that they can touch the bottom and feel secure.
The baby savannah monitors less than 1ft) there isn't much you can do without causing a lot of stress to the animal, once they get juvenile 1ft to 1.5 foot long you can probably get them out more often, and for longer periods of time. Whenever my young(less than 1ft) savannah would try to bite me, I would offer it my fingernail, and once he realized he was bitting something hard he would let go.
Keep in mind I wasn't as knowledgable as I am now, and thinking back on this I could have caused him to break a tooth, which might lead to an infection in his mouth. After they get a foot longer you don't want to take a hit off of one, their jaw muscles are incredible, and they like to twist their head which causes their teeth to become like a serrated knife, and their bites almost always cause a small infection in my hand.