FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - My New Savannah
Thread: My New Savannah
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
AGoodwin
Talking My New Savannah

This is my baby savannah monitor, Savannah! I got him/her Sunday at the New England Reptile Expo.

This is my first monitor, and my first really large lizard. I have done quite a bit of research but would like some opinions on various care topics.

From reading it looks like he/she should have lots of bugs, and as soon as he is big enough to handle them, I should also start feeding him/her appropriately sized rodents. Should his bugs be dusted with calcium? Also, as far as the amount of rodents in his/her diet I have not found a consistent number. I am seeing anywhere from 1-4 rodents and as often as every day to once a week. Any suggestion on what I should go with?

I am finding mixed opinions on eggs, both raw and hard boiled. Some say good, some say bad. Whats the consensus here?

I saw looking at prepared savannah monitor food that there was a considerable vegetable content. I do not plan on using prepared foods, but it made me wonder, do I need to feed him/her fresh fruits/veggies? If so, what and how much? I never saw them mentioned on any online care sheets.

Sexing. I read that they cant be sexed until 1-2 years of age. Is this true?

Growth Rate:

Right now he/she is in a 20L until he is a little bigger, then he/she will go into a 55gal. About how long until he/she outgrows the 55gal and will need to be moved to a larger permanent enclosure? Just curious when I should start getting plans together and beginning construction.

Any additional things I should know about my new friend? Any tips (other than frequent handling) for raising him/her into a well mannered gentle giant?
Attached Images