FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bringing a 2nd dog into the picture ?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Bar None Reptiles
Usually a male/female pair would be the best group. One thing I have always done, except for once because it was an emergency and now I realize that not doing it made for alot of the problems. I let my dog chose who he wants as a friend. I usually have someone in mind when I go to the shelter, but I always bring him in and let him chose and meet new dogs on neutral territory. If my big male will accept the new dog, then everything will be fine. His first buddy was a male shiba inu. Oddly enough these 2 males act like they have been together forever, both neutered!! I wanted to bring a girl into the mix and picked out a border collie/husky I had been working with at the shelter. The aussie liked her, but the shiba didn't. But so long as the large one accepted her, we were fine. He is the top of the canine pack. So once you have established yourself with your current dog, then I would say the both of you can go and chose a new member to join. Females are usually alot more tolerant, but I would definitely let her have a say in who she likes. My aussie does alot of what you say, he always had to squeeze his way in between, or try and leave no room in the bed. You just have to be the boss and not let her do it. If you let her continue, she will always be above you. For me it came down to getting rid of one of my dogs or the ex..... the dogs are doing great!!!