FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ohio state law issues
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #25
Glenn Bartley
Megan,

To me it sounds like you want this stand closed down, but that is just my guess. Ok, they are probably violating the law. They may even be improperly caring for the turtles. I see some other alternatives instead of just trying to put this one stand out of business. Maybe it is one of these alternatives which you are already considering, but for some reason I think otherwise - maybe it was that 'Yay" in your post that makes me feel this way. If you have already considered what I am about to suggest, then good for you. If not, maybe I will give you some alternatives to ponder:

Why not try to have the sub-four inch turtle ban repealed.

And why not also try to promote good turtle care among dealers, breeders and keepers.

As for their not being any UV lighting at a stand, that is not unusual. Nor is the lack of a heat lamp if the ambient temperature is sufficient. It does not necessarily mean the turtles are not cared for correctly at other times. However, as to the turtle with the infection, that does tend to show poor care for the turtles, as does having 70 turtles in a 10 gallon tank.

Now tell me: Why did you buy it? In doing so, have you violated the law? Have you aided, abetted or facilitated in a sale that violated the law, even though the seller was someone other than you? Have you done something that experienced herp keepers have often spoken out against - buying a herp that is ill because you felt sorry for it? Why didn't you simply report this stand to the authorities?

Instead you bought that turtle, which you must have felt was ok for you to do, but I get the feeling you may believe it is not okay for anyone else to do. If I am correct in that assumption, then what makes it ok for you to buy one of these turtles, and not for the seller to keep selling to others?

By the way, remember that if in the future you see someone selling sub-four inch turtles it may not be against the law at all. If the person is a hobbyist, who is not running a regular business that deals in turtles, such is permissible. I am not saying that this is what went on at the stand from which you made a purchase, just that you may see this at a herp show. It is also permissible to sell turtles for educational and scientific purposes, and for export. (I guess kids in other countries are not susceptible to salmonella as are our kids. A lame reason for this law; if it held water then eggs, chickens, and dairy products would be totally banned as most cases of salmonella arise from them.) Some people use these exceptions to conduct business, which of course would be illegal.

I am of the firm belief that this law would best be changed to allow sales, and believe that proper care should be something that all dealers, keepers and breeders strive for.

Best regards,
Glenn B