FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Lots of guests today...
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #22
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizards View Post
When you use the section you are using, sometimes its not 100% up to date. Check you csf and see if that network is actually added in there.
Well, this poses a question. Once I run this on my server, how long will it actually be up to date? Seems like ownership of blocks of IP addresses will change quite a bit over time. But I've never looked into how allocations are actually handled at the ISP level.

Personally, when blocking IP addresses, individually and by blocks, I would periodically wipe the slate clean every year or so and start anew. If I check IP addresses on someone who has registered here many moons ago, generally the location pointed to is rarely where their stated location is. Which makes trying to match someone with someone else pretty dicey, at best.

In any event, I just got another spammer get through with a Russian IP address.

I guess I'll just have to see how much the total number of spammers registering every day works out to be after implementing this change. If it reduces the total number quite a bit, and server loading is minimal, it will be worthwhile. But do I have to somehow refresh the IPs within csf every now and again?