FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Albino Ball Python Died!!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 02:37 PM   #89
napavalleysnakes
Adam - I've been reading this thread off and on, and figure I had to say this: There is no life-long guarantee on any animal.

Several times in the past I've sold what to me, are outwardly healthy animals. They were eating for me, gaining weight, no visible abnormalities, etc.
Animals I would stake my reputation on as I produced them myself, and had them in my possession from birth until they were sold.

Yet even with all my care, the care of the individual purchasing the animal, the animal still fails to make it to adulthood.

By the rules of nature, there are certain animals that just weren't meant to make it to maturity.

Which brings us to Kevin and the albino ball. I've checked out NERD's animals at several shows, and they really do keep on top of the care of their animals. When you have been a vendor at what seems like too many shows a year, you tend to notice who, and who doesn't, take care of their animals. My opinion of NERD is they do a great job !

So what reparations does this situation warrant ?
Well in my eyes NERD is not liable for the death of this animal.
I think they sold an animal that was outwardly healthy (thus it being purchased), and the animal survived long enough to satisfy their warranty.
With this being said, many dealers will go the extra mile to make it up to a customer. I know I do. There are several ways to make up a high-end casualty. You can either send them a new one (the easy solution, though not often done) or you can work out a deal for other animals with them at reduced pricing.

It seems Kevin was willing to go this route until he felt your questions had become accusations about his bloodline. Nobody who has worked their tail off in this hobby wants to hear someone state they may be selling defective animals.

My take-home message on this situation, well it really is too bad the animal did not thrive for you Adam, but the facts are I do not feel NERD is obligated to pay back (or make reparations for) a single cent.. Sometimes you just have to face up to losses in this hobby and move on. It may make you leery of dealing with a particular person (as this will be a purchase you'll certainly never forget), but it can also be a learning tool. Breeding reptiles is a challenging hobby, and that's why it is so fascinating to pursue..

Thanks, Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes