FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - boys and girls together
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Essexboy
Red face boys and girls together

Hi there,
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else on the site. I'm a complete beginner and got my first beardies last week from a reptile store near me. They are adults - male and female (Jake and Elwood) and the male is smaller than the female - and both seem pretty healthy. But I want to know if I should separate them. They were in a tank together at the store and seem happy together in their tank at home, although Jake has tried to mount Elwood a few times. She shakes him off without much fuss but I'm alarmed as I read today on other forums that male and female beardies should never be kept together because the females get stressed out.

I'd tried to educate myself as much as possible before getting them by reading stuff on the the internet and a couple of books, including the Advanced Vivarium Systems book. It said keeping a male and female together was ideal, as the males get lonely on their own but if you get two guys they fight, so I feel a bit of a fool if this is wrong. I obviously didn't do as much research as I'd thought and I don't want to hurt my beardies. Should I get another tank and split them up?

Thanks in advance for your help. Essexboy