FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - hairless guinea pig vs. rat
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Hillybean
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinezilla View Post
What are the rats called that have only patches of fur?
They kinda look like they got into it with some hair clippers...
Most likely you mean a double rex. The photo attached is of my Double rex when he was little. There is more than one rex/ double rex gene, and it can be expressed in different ways. I don't believe any look identical.

Reply to main post:

I have owned both rats and g-pigs. I remember my g-pigs always smelling, and they were cleaned daily...Odor is very similar to that of a rabbit and you have squeaking, purring, and a variety of noises. I have never had a skinny pig, just the furred.

Just because they are hairless, doesn't mean they are a true hairless. It also doesn't mean your family won't have a reaction to them. I have had hairless rats that get fuzz on face that comes and goes....It depends on the genetics. Hairless rats are prone to health problems, but getting from a good breeder will possibly make them healthier.

I think both are on the exotic side, so contact you vet.

The hairless rats require a lot of care, they eat more, and they well...their hairless..so warmth is important. You should also be willing to get two or three, as they are very social (also helps to keep them warm). Their skin can be sensitive, oils may need to be added in their bath rinse, etc.

Over all I'd go for the hairless. I currently have five hairless, and many furred, love them to bits.
Attached Images