FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Tokay Geckos
Thread: Tokay Geckos
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Road Warrior
1 1/2 years ago I moved from Arizona to here(washington). Most my belonging were shipped via moving truck. My wife and I brought minimal things so we could carry all my Geckos and a bunch of the smaller tanks with us in the car because our stuff on the truck wouldn't arrive for a week after us. My Tokays lay all their eggs on a large flat rock proped up against the back wall in their home. On it moving time was at least a dozen eggs. This presented a problem to move without crushing the eggs and the rock is fairly large and heavy. We had a two day 1200 mile trip to drive. I laid the rock very carefully on the rear floorboard propped up my extra shoes. The second day of our trip we stopped to get a bite. When we returned the car i opened the door for my wife and immediately saw movement behind the seat on the floor. I've seen this enough times to know exactly what it was. I turned the rock over so I could see the eggs and sure enough one had hatched. Now I have a loose hatchling in the car that I did not want to lose. After about 10 minutes I finally found it in side one of the shoes. The little guy got to ride the rest the way in a deli cup stacked with about 30 other geckos.

Descibe how your keeping your groups, I would guess two groups of 1 male and 3 females in different setups or are they all together. Either way I say a female that isn't or hasn't layed any eggs, maybe the male hasn't bred to her, is the one canabalizing the eggs. I've seen this happen before, actually caught the female eating the eggs while I watched in horror(my babies). This behavior ceased as soon has this female became gravid and began laying her own eggs. All the females now lay their eggs in the same place so I don't know whos are whos. They all watch over and protect the eggs and the young when they hatch. I would guess you have one maybe more females not laying eggs and eating the eggs, good nutrician and calcium. I've also read and heard from a good source that they may be able to tell non fertle eggs and will eat them. I do know that when babies hatch the adult females will eat the rest of the egg except the small portion thats glued to whatever they layed them on.